Aug 14, 2020
MUS 424 - Jazz Pedagogy
Jazz-specific teaching methods, strategies, literature and materials primarily for application in a public school setting, grades 6-12, vocal or instrumental. Recommended for, but not limited to, music education majors. This course is a part of the Teacher Preparation Program.
Prerequisite: junior standing or above.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Demonstrate an awareness of jazz education history and trends and compare with jazz performance history
- Demonstrate how to establish a jazz program in a school setting and strategies and/ or methods for developing jazz skills in students
- Demonstrate rehearsal techniques and strategies in student ensembles
- Demonstrate rhythm section techniques
- Develop lists of appropriate equipment in school settings and compile lists of jazz resources in various media
- Develop philosophies concerning festivals and contests
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)