Nov 27, 2020
LAJ 351 - Preparing for a Law Enforcement Career
This course provides crucial information to help students understand, prepare, compete, and promote themselves during the competitive testing and hiring process for law enforcement positions. LAJ 300 is recommended. By permission.
Prerequisite: admission to the major or minor.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Discuss and understand the concept of the police department’s hiring process, the continual need for rigid hiring standards, and the historical problems that have arisen without them.
- Identify personal accomplishments and/or detriments that may impact the student’s ability to seek police employment.
- Apply life skills and knowledge to prepare students for a comprehensive understanding of the Civil Service examination process.
- Be advised of current physical requirements for police service and shown the proper techniques for performing and passing the Civil Service physical examination. Active participation will be required, including performance of these requirements.
- Identify minimum education requirements, study techniques for police testing, and current evaluation standards for police service.
- Understand and compete in the hiring process, recognize the duties, responsibilities, and public’s expectation of the police, proper behavior, grooming, attitude, initiative, and personal responsibility throughout the hiring process, and police academy.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)