Jul 13, 2020
ENG 466 - Advanced Creative Nonfiction Writing
Intensive workshop further developing the techniques of writing creative nonfiction: researching, editing, assimilating features of fiction and poetry, and experimenting with structure, voice, and style. Reading professional models to learn technique. ENG 466 and ENG 566 are layered courses; a student may not receive credit for both.
Prerequisite: ENG 366.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Deepen their understanding of creative nonfiction by studying the works of selected professional writers, with sustained attention on at least one booklength work.
- Develop their oral presentation skills by presenting their knowledge of the craft and/or a particular creative nonfiction writer or work and/or each other’s work.
- Continue to develop research skills.
- Develop critical skills by responding to each other’s drafts.
- Recognize and submit their work to appropriate literary markets.
- Learn how to articulate the effectiveness of “voice” and will learn to develop their own individual voices, modulating tone and experimenting with irony as appropriate.
- Develop their revision/editing skills to become their own best editors.
- Learn to perform their work.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)