Sep 20, 2019
ENG 455 - Studies in Poetry (Put on Reserve 9/16/16.)
Intensive study of representative example of poetry. May be repeated up to 15 credits. (Put on Reserve 9/16/16. Last taught in 2013. Will go inactive 8/24/19.)
Prerequisites: ENG 302 and ENG 303.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Identify the formal elements and generic conventions of poetry and explain how formal choices contribute to meaning.
- Compare and contrast poetic works based on theme, genre, historical context, and/or historical context.
- Analyze and discuss the development of a genre in relation to specific historical, material, or cultural conditions.
- Discuss and analyze the thematic concerns of poetic works.
- Write formal and informal responses to works of nonfiction that demonstrate engagement, reflective thought about the writer’s own assumptions, effective inquiry, and responsible interpretation.
- Apply theoretical approaches to the analysis of poetry.
[Add to Portfolio]