Sep 16, 2019
ENG 453 - Studies in Fiction
Extensive reading and analysis of prose fiction. May be repeated up to 15 credits under a different subtitle.
Prerequisites: ENG 302 and ENG 303, or permission of instructor.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Identify the formal elements and generic conventions of fiction and explain how formal choices contribute to meaning.
- Compare and contrast works of fiction based on theme, subgenre, historical context, and/or historical context.
- Analyze and discuss the development of a genre in relation to specific historical, material, or cultural conditions.
- Discuss and analyze the thematic concerns of fictional works.
- Write formal and informal responses to fictional works that demonstrate engagement, reflective thought about the writer’s own assumptions, effective inquiry, and responsible interpretation.
- Apply theoretical approaches to the analysis of fictional texts.
[Add to Portfolio]