Jul 16, 2019
ENG 374 - Literature and History IV
Historical and critical studies in literature from the 20th century through the present. May be repeated up to 10 credits under a different subtitle.
Prerequisite: ENG 302 and ENG 303.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Explain the way a contemporary literary work can be analyzed and interpreted in the context of contemporary literature citing several relevant authors for comparison
- Survey contemporary literature with references to canonical and non-canonical texts as well as a variety of literary genres, relating the literary history of the period to concurrent political, cultural, intellectual, and aesthetic histories
- Identify specific contemporary literary movements, as well as the socio-cultural implications of those movements
- Explain ways in which literature contributes to our knowledge of a particular period by aligning itself with or by articulating a significant difference from dominant discourses
- Demonstrate knowledge of representative contemporary texts
[Add to Portfolio]