Mar 22, 2019
COM 450 - Advanced Public Speaking
Preparation and delivery of specialized forms of public address. Writing speeches for others, advanced forms of style and support, and speeches for special occasions.
Prerequisite: COM 340 (Put on reserve 9/16/18) or COM 345, and admission to the communications major.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Refine knowledge and skill in advanced principles of speech construction and delivery
- Practice specialized forms of public speaking such as speeches of introduction, acceptance, nomination, etc.
- Consider the problems of constructing speeches for others and write such a speech.
- Deliver powerful and persuasive speeches that use careful word choice, unity of ideas, and an expanded conversational tone. This includes delivery has an effective sense of timing, effective emotion, and is pleasing visually.
- Become a competent speaker by developing speaking repertoire, learning to select the best speaking style to meet the situation, and developing the skill to implement that style.
- Develop the ability to evaluate their own speaking effectiveness and to learn from experience.
[Add to Portfolio]