May 21, 2019
COM 375 - Interviewing Principles and Techniques
Examination of the basic principles and techniques of interviewing and their application in informational, employment, and persuasive/counseling contexts. Extensive in-class and community experience in interviewing provided.
Prerequisites: COM 207 and admission to a communication major.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Identify, explain, and apply general theoretical principles related to interviewing.
- Identify the functions and techniques for the three major components of an interview: the opening, the body, and the dosing.
- Construct an interview guide containing a variety of primary and secondary questions following a sequence appropriate for the purpose of the interview.
- Write a job description, cover letter and resume appropriate for a position you intend to apply for within the next five years.
- Learn to be an interviewer and interviewee
- Distinguish between legal and illegal laws in accordance with the Equal Employment Opportunities Office.
[Add to Portfolio]