Oct 01, 2020
COM 342 - Broadcast News Producing
Principles and techniques used in producing newscasts for broadcast news, with emphasis on television news.
Prerequisite: Com 310 and admission to the digital journalism major.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
Learner Outcomes Approval Date:
- Operate producing software that parallels software used in newsrooms
- Identify the guidelines and rules of broadcast news producing
- Develop flow and continuity within a newscast to attract and retain viewers
- Write effective news teases
- Use live shots, as-if-lives and studio hits to improve pacing and to place emphasis on stories
- Time a show and make adjustments if the show is “heavy” or “light.”
- Structure and restructure stories to produce different newscasts with different formats and goals.
- Field produce a story to better communicate the message of the story using tools such as stand ups, interviews, as-if-lives, and other producing tools.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)