Oct 17, 2017
BIOL 513 - Advanced Biostatistics
Visualization and analysis of complex biological data-sets. Computer laboratory exercises will utilize R, a free and powerful software environment for statistical computing and graphics. BIOL 413 and BIOL 513 are layered courses; students may not receive credit for both. Three hours lecture and two hours laboratory per week.
Prerequisites: BIOL 213 or permission of instructor.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design valid, efficient, and statistically powerful experiments (413/513)
- Visualize complex data sets and identify patterns of biological importance (413/513)
- Explain the underlying assumptions of common statistical tests and evaluate the potential consequences of violating these assumptions (413/513)
- Select and validate appropriate methods for the analysis of complex biological data sets (413/513)
- Analyze complex biological data sets, interpret the output, draw valid conclusions, and communicate findings (413/513)
- 513 only: Visualize, analyze, and present findings from a unique, complex dataset (513)
[Add to Portfolio]